Tripartite Dispute Resolution and Employment Claims Tribunal

Parliamentary Question, 6 August 2019

https://ifonlysingaporeans.blogspot.com/2016/08/employment-claims-tribunals-will-start.html

Ms Anthea Ong asked the Minister for Manpower in each of the last three years (a) what are the average and median lengths of time between the lodgement of a claim at the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management and the subsequent referral of the claim to the Employment Claims Tribunal through the issuance of a claim referral certificate; and (b) in how many of these cases have the process taken more than eight weeks.

Mrs Josephine Teo: In both 2017 and 2018, the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management (TADM) resolved about 85% of salary claims filed under the Employment Claims Act (ECA). The remaining 15% of claims were referred to the Employment Claims Tribunals (ECT) for adjudication through the issuance of a claim referral certificate.

More than 80% salary claims filed under the ECA were successfully resolved within eight weeks. Cases referred to the ECT tend to be more complex and difficult and may take a longer time to resolve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Anthea Ong is a Nominated Member of Parliament. (A Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) is a Member of the Parliament of Singapore who is appointed by the President. They are not affiliated to any political party and do not represent any constituency. There are currently nine NMPs in Parliament.)

The multi-sector perspective that comes from her ground immersion of 12 years in different capacities helps her translate single-sector issues and ideas across boundaries without alienating any particular community/group. As an entrepreneur and with many years in business leadership, it is innate in her to discuss social issues with the intent of finding solutions, or at least of exploring possibilities. She champions mental health, diversity and inclusion — and volunteerism in Parliament.

She is also an impact entrepreneur/investor and a passionate mental health advocate, especially in workplace wellbeing. She started WorkWell Leaders Workgroup in May 2018 to bring together top leaders (CXOs, Heads of HR/CSR/D&I) of top employers in Singapore (both public and private) to share, discuss and co-create inclusive practices to promote workplace wellbeing. Anthea is also the founder of Hush TeaBar, Singapore’s 1st silent teabar and a social movement that aims to bring silence, self care and social inclusion into every workplace, every community — with a cup of tea. The Hush Experience is completely led by lovingly-trained Deaf facilitators, supported by a team of Persons with Mental Health Issues (PMHIs).

Follow Anthea Ong on her public page at www.facebook.com/antheaonglaytheng

A full-time human, and part-time everything else.

A full-time human, and part-time everything else.